ADVERTISEMENT

How does Rick Mallory and Mike Polly still have jobs?

sWiley

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2012
I’ve never seen so many sacks and TFLs in a game. I’ve also never seen so many blown assignments on the OL. Just kids flat out letting defenders run by them. I could have literally provided more resistance, and I’m 6 foot 155 pounds.

How bad does our OL have to be to try something different ? We seriously probably have the worst OL in FBS and there’s probably 20-30 FCS teams with better lines too. And this isn’t a rare occurrence.

Our OL is bad year in, year out. Couldn’t tell you the last time we had a respectable OL. Maybe when Geep was here ? Been almost a decade I believe.

Does a QB have to get seriously injured before we decide it’s a bad idea to lose the line of scrimmage every game? Puzzling situation. Even for Rick Nepotism Stockstill, who hires family and keeps his buddies around so they can juice their retirement, regardless of their performance as a coach

Pathetic and shameless. Weak man who is not a good role model to his players. Actions speak louder than words Rick. Your refusal to fire your dead weight assistants speaks volumes about you and your lack of regard for MT and the players. And everyone sees it.

His own son was injured, twice if I remember right. Once with a broken collarbone and missed games because of it. And he still didn't fix it.....proves he just wants his buddies around.

Here are some numbers for you after 6 games.

- Allowed 19 sacks.
Through our first 4 games, 10. Liberty, 3.
Through our first 5 games, 11. WKU, 3.
- Averaging 124yds rushing per game.
Liberty, 271.
- 39/99 on 3rd down conversions. 39.4%
- We've punted 36 times in 6 games, 28 in 5 games. Air Force for example has punted 9 in their 5 games. Total.
- Allowing avg 395yds per game while we are only gaining 376yds.
- Avg 21pts per game against G5 teams while allowing 36pts.
- Avg time of possession is 28min per game

Oh, and not counting Bama, avg loss is by 12.5pts.

Here are some numbers for you after 6 games.

- Allowed 19 sacks.
Through our first 4 games, 10. Liberty, 3.
Through our first 5 games, 11. WKU, 3.
- Averaging 124yds rushing per game.
Liberty, 271.
- 39/99 on 3rd down conversions. 39.4%
- We've punted 36 times in 6 games, 28 in 5 games. Air Force for example has punted 9 in their 5 games. Total.
- Allowing avg 395yds per game while we are only gaining 376yds.
- Avg 21pts per game against G5 teams while allowing 36pts.
- Avg time of possession is 28min per game

Oh, and not counting Bama, avg loss is by 12.5pts.

Most of our success is just individual brilliance by Vattiato making something happen when running for his life and a couple other skill guys (some decent WR) making a play.

This isn't so much of an offense that's running a coherent, discernable gameplan as it is snap the ball, and someone do something and maybe it works.

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
I’ve never seen so many sacks and TFLs in a game. I’ve also never seen so many blown assignments on the OL. Just kids flat out letting defenders run by them. I could have literally provided more resistance, and I’m 6 foot 155 pounds.

How bad does our OL have to be to try something different ? We seriously probably have the worst OL in FBS and there’s probably 20-30 FCS teams with better lines too. And this isn’t a rare occurrence.

Our OL is bad year in, year out. Couldn’t tell you the last time we had a respectable OL. Maybe when Geep was here ? Been almost a decade I believe.

Does a QB have to get seriously injured before we decide it’s a bad idea to lose the line of scrimmage every game? Puzzling situation. Even for Rick Nepotism Stockstill, who hires family and keeps his buddies around so they can juice their retirement, regardless of their performance as a coach

Pathetic and shameless. Weak man who is not a good role model to his players. Actions speak louder than words Rick. Your refusal to fire your dead weight assistants speaks volumes about you and your lack of regard for MT and the players. And everyone sees it.

My bro in law and I watched the game last night together. We both played OL in high school. Neither of us were any good, so I'm not saying this as someone claiming to be a football expert. Just someone who's played a little and knows 1% more than nothing.

But we watched the OL a lot last night. I cannot tell you how many times that pre-snap, our tackles were just flat looking at the wrong guy.

I cannot tell you how many times the guard and tackle didn't recognize who to block, and ended up blocking the same guy leaving a guy free. Many times, these weren't blitz situations - just a straight 4 man rush (and on at least 1 play, a 3 man rush) where the tackle didn't realize or recognize or apparently even see the d-end, blocked down, while the end ran free.

Physically, the guard/center were adequate mostly. Both tackles were more often than not manhandled when they were able to lock up 1v1, or on more occasion, simply whiffed when they couldn't handle the outside speed rush.

It looks like they're running a zone blocking scheme, but there's little to no pre-snap recognition on who's doing what.

Suppose you're the tackle, and you look left towards the B-gap, and you see one D-tackle. You look to the right, and you see the end. I don't care what the zone blocking assignment is, you have to recognize that that D-End is your responsibility.

I'm sure Mallory and Polly are far more qualified than I to coach OL (or maybe im not so sure), but I can tell you right now that the coaching isn't taking. Either they're not delivering it at all, delivering it improperly, or the players are simply so unskilled and untalented that they're not capable of absorbing and applying what is being taught.

The OL we watched last night was an absolute disaster from both a physical, schematic, and football IQ standpoint.

The rest of the offense is adequate (RBs) to good (QB/WR hook ups), but the OL is so bad they simply can't run an offense.

Every single play! was Nick having to roll out because of that line.

would Stock ever fire a coach mid-season?

My bro in law and I watched the game last night together. We both played OL in high school. Neither of us were any good, so I'm not saying this as someone claiming to be a football expert. Just someone who's played a little and knows 1% more than nothing.

But we watched the OL a lot last night. I cannot tell you how many times that pre-snap, our tackles were just flat looking at the wrong guy.

I cannot tell you how many times the guard and tackle didn't recognize who to block, and ended up blocking the same guy leaving a guy free. Many times, these weren't blitz situations - just a straight 4 man rush (and on at least 1 play, a 3 man rush) where the tackle didn't realize or recognize or apparently even see the d-end, blocked down, while the end ran free.

Physically, the guard/center were adequate mostly. Both tackles were more often than not manhandled when they were able to lock up 1v1, or on more occasion, simply whiffed when they couldn't handle the outside speed rush.

It looks like they're running a zone blocking scheme, but there's little to no pre-snap recognition on who's doing what.

Suppose you're the tackle, and you look left towards the B-gap, and you see one D-tackle. You look to the right, and you see the end. I don't care what the zone blocking assignment is, you have to recognize that that D-End is your responsibility.

I'm sure Mallory and Polly are far more qualified than I to coach OL (or maybe im not so sure), but I can tell you right now that the coaching isn't taking. Either they're not delivering it at all, delivering it improperly, or the players are simply so unskilled and untalented that they're not capable of absorbing and applying what is being taught.

The OL we watched last night was an absolute disaster from both a physical, schematic, and football IQ standpoint.

The rest of the offense is adequate (RBs) to good (QB/WR hook ups), but the OL is so bad they simply can't run an offense.

Are a lot of those issues based on the fact we have two coaches coaching different parts of the OL instead of one OL coach creating united front?

Or is it just all of the above. Lack of talent, poor development/coaching, bad communication, etc.

I'm no OL expert myself but I know a good one when I see one. This is the worst I've ever seen.

Are a lot of those issues based on the fact we have two coaches coaching different parts of the OL instead of one OL coach creating united front?

Or is it just all of the above. Lack of talent, poor development/coaching, bad communication, etc.

I'm no OL expert myself but I know a good one when I see one. This is the worst I've ever seen.

There's no way to tell really as we're only really seeing what happens on gameday and not seeing what's happening the 6 other days of the week with practices/meetings.

All we can do is analyze the end product and sort of gleaning what's going wrong, and that tells you that whatever they're doing is not producing on the field.

That's just it though. I don't think Stock has ever canned someone mid-season. Maybe once or twice.

There is zero pressure on him from the admin. You'd think CM would have weekly meetings discussing what went good, what went bad, and how to fix the bad. During those meetings when the same things go bad, you have to demand a change.

I think it’s all the above. My playing/ coaching ends at the HS level, but what it looks like to me is a combination of everything. There’s an obvious lack of skill in some players. There are breakdowns in communication as evidenced by defensive players have free runs at Nick without even an attempt to block. There are technique breaks down way too often.

We're trying to play FBS football using FCS players. The reason? They're low hanging fruit, requiring very little effort to recruit. All the proof you need is to look at the other FBS offers our recruits receive. I realize we aren't going to get AL, UGA or UT-level players, but at least other G5 programs at least try.

Last edited:
We're trying to play FBS football using FCS players. The reason? They're low hanging fruit, requiring very little effort recruit. All the proof you need is to look at the other FBS offers our recruits receive. I realize we aren't going to get AL, UGA or UT-level players, but at least other G5 programs at least try.
you don't have fcs players naia and d2

Would Massaro?.

Massaro should be in Stockstill's office demanding he fire at least those two immediately. If Stoclstill refuses, fire him for insubordination, for cause, however it is phrased contractualy. No buyout
McFake should have told CM after the game to fire coaches or he was gone. This is what a real leader/ad would do.

That's just it though. I don't think Stock has ever canned someone mid-season. Maybe once or twice.

There is zero pressure on him from the admin. You'd think CM would have weekly meetings discussing what went good, what went bad, and how to fix the bad. During those meetings when the same things go bad, you have to demand a change.
The only time I can remember Stock making a change in season was Willie Simmons resignation / termination (not sure which one it was).

Stock seems to value stability. I can only thing of a couple of times where Stock may have "fired" a guy (Randall McCray). Maybe Faulkner / Nix (I can't remember if they were resignations vs terminations).

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
The last real OL coach we had was Geep Wade. JRS was the OG and we won 10 games with him. If we were outclassed, we would go into cut blocking which kept us in games with UK and Clemson. Earlabee and the Texas tech guy were amazing for us in 2012. We dominated GT with our line. Once wade left and the 2 idiots took over, it's been downhill. Stock ain't changing. He doesn't have to. He's here til 28/29 unless we pony up. He also has a state pension for life now as well. His money is long.

Reactions: mtfblue
The only time I can remember Stock making a change in season was Willie Simmons resignation / termination (not sure which one it was).

Stock seems to value stability. I can only thing of a couple of times where Stock may have "fired" a guy (Randall McCray). Maybe Faulkner / Nix (I can't remember if they were resignations vs terminations).
Forced resignations are firings.

That's an understatement. Obviously, he doesn't value winning.

Reactions: Hop45
Both were shown the door. Nix was fired right after the Hawaii bowl.
Nix should have been fired after the Marshall game that year. Marshall had a terrible offense and had like 2 tds in their first few games. They scored 5 against our defense and should have been more but Doc called off dogs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT